O.C. “Rusty” Sparks is a Bankruptcy and consumer law practitioner living in Little Rock, Arkansas. Rusty has devoted his practice to assisting individuals and businesses in evaluating and utilizing the federal consumer protection and Bankruptcy codes to assist clients with distressed financial circumstances and consumer law situations, utilizing Chapters 7, 11, 12, and 13.
Rusty was admitted to practice law in Arkansas in 1983, and worked in the financial services (investment brokerage and insurance regulatory compliance) industry from 1982 until 2000. Rusty has championed the cause of Bankruptcy debtors before the 8th Circuit Court of Appeals in two important cases, In Re Frederickson and In Re Washburn. Both cases resulted in significant changes in the application of BAPCPA Bankruptcy law that benefited all Bankruptcy debtors in states governed by the decisions of the 8th Circuit Court of Appeals. However, the precedents set in those cases were subsequently changed by further action of the U.S. Supreme Court in In re Lanning and In re Ransom.
Rusty has regularly lectured for the National Business Institute for CLE seminar programs targeting Bankruptcy lawyers and paralegals. Rusty is also an approved presenter for the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the C.A.R.E. (Credit Abuse Resistance Education) program lecturing to students and young adults at colleges and high schools throughout the state. Rusty has been a regular presenter at past Arkansas Bar Association Debtor-Creditor Law Institutes, both in central Arkansas and northwest Arkansas. He has presented CLE topics for the Bankruptcy Section of the Arkansas Trial Lawyers Assn., and at the NACTT annual conference in Chicago.
- U.S. Federal District Courts for the Eastern Division of Arkansas
- U.S. Federal District Courts for the Western Division of Arkansas
- U. S. Court of Appeals Eighth Circuit
- U. S. Supreme Court
- J.D. Juris Doctorate, University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, 1982
- B.A. University of Central Arkansas, 1978
Professional Associations & Memberships
- Arkansas Bar Association - Member
- Pulaski County Bar Association - Member
- Debtor/Creditor Bar of Central Arkansas - Member
- Bankruptcy Section of the Arkansas Trial Lawyers Association (ATLA) - Member
- National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys (NACBA) - Arkansas State Chairman
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the C.A.R.E. (Credit Abuse Resistance Education) - Presenter